Wink's Words
It has been another great week at Carthage ISD. Thank you so much for your hard work. In my walks around the schools, I have seen great things happening from students and teachers in the classroom, and I see our employees working hard to make this the best place it can be for all kids. I look forward to seeing you in action next week pushing all kids to high levels of success.
I enjoy learning and sharing my learning with others, and in our talk on January 7, I challenged every employee to focus on Every Bulldog Engaged from Bell to Bell. To expand on this idea, I want to share a graphic on learning retention rates.
What is interesting about this graphic is what happens when students start leading themselves in their learning. Students retain 50% of the information through discussion with others. Their retention increases to 75% when students practice by doing the work themselves, but they retain a whopping 90% of what they learn when students teach one another. When we expect students to do the work, learning increases exponentially.
This week, ask yourself:
Staff Shoutout
We all grow best by following the examples of others. Each week, I will take a minute to point out people who are doing great work in Carthage ISD. Congratulations to our outstanding Bulldog employees: Art Horton (CHS), Evelyn Wedgeworth (CPS), and Freddie Castleberry (Director of Custodians).
Upcoming Events
Click Here to read "The Quest to Excellence" - Community Blog
It has been another great week at Carthage ISD. Thank you so much for your hard work. In my walks around the schools, I have seen great things happening from students and teachers in the classroom, and I see our employees working hard to make this the best place it can be for all kids. I look forward to seeing you in action next week pushing all kids to high levels of success.
![]() |
| Source - The Active Learner's Institut |
I enjoy learning and sharing my learning with others, and in our talk on January 7, I challenged every employee to focus on Every Bulldog Engaged from Bell to Bell. To expand on this idea, I want to share a graphic on learning retention rates.
What is interesting about this graphic is what happens when students start leading themselves in their learning. Students retain 50% of the information through discussion with others. Their retention increases to 75% when students practice by doing the work themselves, but they retain a whopping 90% of what they learn when students teach one another. When we expect students to do the work, learning increases exponentially.
This week, ask yourself:
- What are the predominant retention rate activities that my students undertake?
- What activities are dependent on me and which ones push students to do the work?
- How can I provide students more access to higher retention activities?
Staff Shoutout
We all grow best by following the examples of others. Each week, I will take a minute to point out people who are doing great work in Carthage ISD. Congratulations to our outstanding Bulldog employees: Art Horton (CHS), Evelyn Wedgeworth (CPS), and Freddie Castleberry (Director of Custodians).
The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Upcoming Events
- Mon, Jan 21 - School Holiday (Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
- Tue, Jan 22 - School Board Meeting at 6:30 p.m.
- Tue, Jan 22 - Girls/Boys Soccer vs Tenaha
- Thu, 1/24 - JH Boys BB at Center
- Thu, 1/24 - JH Girls BB vs Center
- Thu, 1/24 - Sat, 1/26 - Girls Soccer vs Price Carlisle
- Thu, 1/24 - Mon, 1/28 - FFA at Ft. Worth Heifer Show & Rodeo
- Thu, 1/24 - Sat, 1/26 - JV Boys Soccer @ Tatum Tournament
- Fri, Jan 25 - BB at Hudson
- Sat, Jan 26 - Softball Scrimmage vs Elysian Fields
- Mon, Feb 15 - Staff Development Day
Click Here to read "The Quest to Excellence" - Community Blog




Thank you, Mr. Wink, for sharing your thoughts. I love getting your newsletter. This will make us all feel more connected.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the find words. I appreciate the feedback.
Delete